#thalo ART HACKS / ART FACTS -: Transparent vs. Opaque Paint
By nature, some paint pigments are more transparent than others.
To find out if your paints are transparent.
- Simply draw a line using a permanent black marker.
- Then, paint an even coat of the color in question over this.
- When the paint dries, if you can clearly see the black line under the paint, then your paint is transparent.
- Certain pigments, such as Yellow Ochre (right, image above) are quite opaque.
- Alizarin Crimson, on the left (left image above), is a classic example of a transparent paint pigment.
- Transparent colors are great for glazes, and opaque colors are great for covering things up!